Question re IP and routing/DNS

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Wed Jan 23 10:05:09 EST 2002

First, are you sure that

search jjn.com.

should end with a period?  Not sure if that's correct or not.

As per DNS queries, you said that manually doing an nslookup yields a
correct host <-> ip query.  So perhaps nsswitch.conf is the culprit.

look at /etc/nsswitch.conf and look for a hosts entry.  It should say
something like this:

hosts:      files dns

if it does not say dns, then you are telling the system NOT to query for
dns lookups, and thus your problem.

On a side note, I would suggest not setting both your DNS servers to the
trusted adelphia.  I usually set my primary to 128.205.106.1 (UB DNS), and
then 24.48.33.2 for secondary.  UB tends to have a better handle on heavy
server loads than Adelphia (hence the mail server, news server, and DNS
issues they have).  Ever try to query 24.48.33.2 between 5pm-7pm?

But that's just my opinion :)

-Rob