Sunday meeting

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 21:54:11 EST 2002

Au contrair (sp) mon frere  (very bad French accent included at no extra cost)

THE BEST WAY TO LEARN is to teach someone else.  Pick a topic, any topic and
try to learn enough about it to explain it to someone else.  Even a topic you
know well, teach it to another and you will be surprised how much clearer it
becomes.

Being a NEWBIE is even more reason to dig into linuxnewbie.org and other pages
like mandrakeuser.org.  One can only say "I'm a newbie"  for so long,
eventually they have to cut loose and say "I want to learn something on my own
instead of others telling me what I need to know!"

I spent a large amount of time running to others with questions.  I learned
little but got lots done.  Now that my most expert source is harder to reach
(BOB :-)  I have to spend a lot more time reading or asking very direct
questions on IRC (it's amazing what people will help with when you don't open
with,"I know nothing help me!" but instead "THis is what I've tried and this is
what I think might be causing it, any suggestions?"  YOU KNOW WHAT, I went to
#mandrake on IRC to get some help and spent an hour helping others with stuff
that seemed simple now.  Suddently I realized I knew something and had
something to offer!

Rob's idea is a grand one, if we have a topic we want to know about we should
volunteer to tell everyone what we've learned to date, so Ron M. if there is a
specific topic you want to know about tell us and present what you were able to
find out on your own.  Taking my own suggestion I'll start Sunday with what
I've learned to date Regarding NIS(YP) and NFS.  Then I'll look to the experts
to fill in what I've missed and actually make it work :-)

HERE IS A SCHEDULE::::::

When I suggested we meet early I only meant those who really wanted to Quake!
So 11:00-1pm QUAKE or gaming fooling around /setting up.  just those with games
stuff, no real help or newbie setups etc. (unless you need getting quake
started)

1-4 regular meeting time.  At least one hour or more on topic and then helping
people with individual problems (like my stupid joystick in Flightgear!) then
when everyone is sated anyone who still wants to can play some more. especially
since some may now have a working system after getting help.

SO to reiterate the official time of 1-4 should be used for official business
unless nothing new is to be presented then it's free time.

Sound fair?  Thoughts suggestions comments analysis blow-by-blow....

JJN