NyamMyoho Renge......

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 29 14:30:21 EDT 2002

I always wondered what that Mantra meant, now I know it is to remind a person
to check the NFLUG mailing list more than 1X/week!

59 Unread messages, sorry all but I may have to delete a few only partially
skimmed :-)

BUT I wanted to let you all know that for those of you hanging on to Windows
for games and Video playing, scratch off one reason to keep it.

Xine is distributed with Mandrake 8.2 and plays AVI VCD MPG CDA, DVD etc etc
etc.  Wait you say , Mandrake can not distribute things like w32codecs and
other libraries becasue of legal reasons.  You are correct - but they can be
found at PLF.zarb.org (Penguin Liberation Front!) At this site is all the RPM
files that can not be distributed due to legal protections or other problems.
There you will find rpms for including avi support and other in Xine and other
types of video players as well as DVD ripping software (for making archival
copies ONLY:-)  MUCH easier than trying to compile the Mplayer software by
hand!.

What I did for Xine was get the file list from
cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/~jcm/skyblade/xine-0.9.8/  but then I actually
got the xine files form the Mandrake distro and the files that weren't included
from the PLF site.  I had originally tried files from the above Xine site and
PLF and they did not work well together.  Stick with the Mandrae specific if
using Mandrake...

JJN