stumped?

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 26 22:16:21 EDT 2002

InstallShield is the installer that a lot of windows programs use. It's
not an added piece of software.  When the program's builder packages
the software for installation on other systems, he uses the InstallShield
install builder to make the 'setup.exe' file.  The 'setup.exe' is the
program that does the install.  Wine will not run the 'setup.exe' program
correctly.  Since software installs in Windows do lots of strange things
to the system, the behavior is very hard to handle.

What I was saying is that if you install programs under Windows
and then try to access them via Wine, you might have better luck.  I don't
know enough about it to know if you can somehow extract the registry entries
or if Wine will use the Windows registry.

I also remember reading about some version of Wine (maybe WineX or CodeWeavers
Wine) that can handle InstallShield installer based installs (ewww.. how many
more times can I use the word 'install' in a sentence?).

Cheers!

Bob

=====