Kernel Panic

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Tue Apr 2 08:11:35 EST 2002

when you get to the rescue mode mount you root filesystem and take a
look in the /boot directory, depending on how you've setup the
filesystems you mail need to mount /boot. in /boot there should be a
bunch off files, vmlinux, initrd, System.map, module-info, ./etc. take a
look at the lilo.conf, that you mounted and look for the initrd lines.
they should all point to real files.

if this looks good take a look under the mounted /dev, there should be
initrd device, /dev/initrd. if i'm not mistaken from your initial
message your using devfs to manage the /dev filesystem. you can start
devfsd at on any mount point, run the daemon in debug mode, devfsd
/mnt/dev -d. if devfsd doesn't startup then this is likely you problem.
you might need to restore the config file /etc/devfsd.conf, check this
file also.

i'd try this out to see what happens, then we can move onto other
possibilities.

darin

--
Darin Perusich