Yahoo! News - Eric Raymond: Linux will rule the desktop

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 1 08:34:06 EST 2002

--- Andrew Rokitka <drew82096 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Linux doesnt have to chase Microsoft.  That is the whole problem.
> People automatically assume that Win9x, 2k, etc is the standard.  Well,
> why not create a new standard?  Instead of complaining about MS, and
> their insecure, expensive, and unreliable product, why not come up with
> a way to make linux more user friendly?  All Linux really needs is  a
> "dumbed down" version so that the normal everyday home user can
> actually perform simple tasks such as software installs.

Actually, we still have to catch them on the desktop and while doing that, you
don't win points for having a different interface that confuses people.  Once
critical mass happens, then we can start to actually innovate and head in new
directions.  While the 900lb gorilla controls 90+% of the desktops, we don't
have a lot of choice.  The Macs had a really slick interface but couldn't stand
up against the assault from the Windoze world.  Remember that you have to
convince the businesses to switch, first.  The way that Windows propogated is
that people used it at work and then wanted the same stuff at home as they had
at work.

It's going to take time.

Cheers!

Bob