[nflug] >mount

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 26 11:16:34 EDT 2001

If there is a process that is currently in the directory that the drive is
mounted under, it cannot be unmounted.  You can use the 'fuser' program with
the -m <block device> option to find out what has the file system mounted.  You
can probably use the -k option to kill the processes that have it open and then
do the unmount.

Of course, this is a really rude thing to do to users :-)

Have you considered using the 'supermount' system?  It will mount file systems
when you attempt to access them and unmount them when nothing is talking to the
file system any more.  Kinda cool for CDROM and floppy drives.

Cheers!

Bob
--- Robert Dege <rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU> wrote:

> I'm trying to write a script that will umount a drive from my linux
> system.  I already have it setup so that all services that access the
> drive will shutdown prior to it um-mounting.  But, I can't figure out how
> to umount the drive if somone resides in that directory.
>
> ie:
>
> > cd /mnt/opt
> > umount /mnt/opt
>
> Mount: device busy
>
> How can I forcibly umount the drive?  I tried the -f option, but no luck.
>

> Dege
>
> Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but
> they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

=====
Bob Meyer
Knightwing Communications, Inc.
36 Cayuga Blvd