Setting the Date

Kevin E. Glosser keg at adelphia.net
Wed Jul 11 21:30:42 EDT 2001

> BTW, I notice the "adelphia.net" address, do you use any sort of Linux
> router to "share the wealth" around the house?  I've a couple of
> solutions that work, but don't call their tech support!!  If it ain't
> window$, they have no clue!

    I use a Linksys 4 port router to share my cable modem amongst 4 pc's. I
would use a linux box + to do it, but I was given the router and it works
very well. It is hard to argue against it, it is so brain dead easy to
setup, flexible and not that expensive.

    I've had the router for 1 year now, the cable modem 4 years I believe. I
have recommended the Linksys router to several people and so far noone has
had any issue with one that I know. Now, they make a 8 port version. I also
understand there is a wireless version. Someone I work with recently got one
of those. I await to here how well it works and holds up.

    As for Adelphia, they suck. The service is ok, the technical support
blows. Everytime I call them to alert them of a issue, I have to convince
them I didn't out of the blue decide to completely screw up my network
configuration. Oh and they won't help you if you have a router. It's
obviously the router that is the cause of all Adelphia technical
difficulties, you see.

    So you can temporarily remove it from the equation or lie to them. The
router has the ability to spoof a MAC address. So, if you are paranoid you
can make the router look like the NIC they give you when you sign up for the
service.

KEG