[nflug] dump vs partimage

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Mon Jan 12 01:38:18 EST 2009

I watch both dump and partimage complete - but they write to my
secondary disk drive - so I know the file is good on that drive, but it
doesn't tell me anything about the image of it that I later burn to
CDROM and that will be the one I'll have to depend on for a restore. The
one on disk is erased as soon as it has been burned to save space.

I will read up on the simulated restore options you refer to.

As for saving time, I've been through this process before. It takes 15
minutes or less to back up my home partition. My backup script as it is
now runs takes 3 - 4 hours by the time all the CD's are burned. I'd
probably throw the machine out before trying a bare metal restore
without a good backup. I expect that would take more than a week between
figuring out what to restore, finding it and then configuring it. I had
a lot of help from people like you on this list and elsewhere over
several years to get it humming like it does now. I'm sure there's quite
a few things I just wouldn't remember.

Thanks.

Joe