[nflug] Verifying a cdrom image backup, some ideas

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sun Jan 11 15:28:04 EST 2009

I have two computers, a desktop (mid-tower) and a notebook.
The desktop, which is the one this is about, is running Mandrake 9.1 on
a Dell PII 266MHz (dual boot with Win 98se). It has a 30GB main drive
and a 120GB secondary drive that are both EIDE. (I'll want to duplicate
this for my notebook once it works on the desktop).

The notebook is an HP Centrino Duo 1.6GHz with a 100GB HD SATA (that I'm
trying to replace with a 320GB - see my other thread - "Help needed
Initializing a new notebook disk drive"). It also has a 250GB USB hdd
that is attached when I'm at home. It is running kubuntu hardy dual
booted with Win XP.

The rest applies to the desktop system only.

I currently use partimage for the windows partitions, but that works
fine anyway because windows isn't running when partimage is.

As far as the Linux partitions are concerned, what difference does it
make whether I use dump or partimage *with respect to* verifying that
the backups burned to CD's are good? In either case, I have a (set of)
iso file on my secondary disk and the image actually burned to a CDROM
and I want my script to be able to give me some confidence that that the
CDROM is a valid copy and readable.

I can't just wipe the machine and try a restore because if it fails,
I've got a dead machine that would take forever to rebuild - especially
with trying to find all the software versions old enough to install
correctly - to say nothing of all the configuration stuff that was done
so long ago I'd probably never figure it all out again even if I could
remember what I did.

The desktop is *very* old and does not get much in the way of software
updates. Firefox 3.0 just failed to install and updates for that were
always a no-brainer. So, for this system, full backups make a lot of
sense to me.

Joe