[nflug] Samba Questions

robert at muzzlethem.com robert at muzzlethem.com
Wed Sep 24 07:01:41 EDT 2008

First, I am having an issue where users cannot open any files from a
particular folder (the files just don't seem to exist even though they
do on the server) even though the permissions appear to be correct.

Second, I have users trying to access a file from one of the shares I
have set up on this same server that constantly have problems accessing
it.  The problem appears to be that the permissions keep changing every
time the file is saved.

If it helps, in my smb.conf file, I have file creation perms set to 660
and dir perms set to 700.  It seems that things go back to working after
I 'chmod g+s' the file, but the same thing happens after the file is
accessed and resaved again.

Any information as to how to begin to go about troubleshooting this
issue would be greatly appreciated.

Robert Wolfe (MCP/Linux+)
Sysop, Omicron Theta BBS (telnet://net261.ath.cx)
Ubuntu Server/WIndows 2003 Server/Dell PowerEdge 1550/Vostro 1500