[nflug] Help- At a Loss - language skills

Daniel V cloudlakedreamer at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 5 08:28:47 EDT 2008

As for troubleshooting with "guys who's native language is not english," I have pondered a lot as to how valuable this is for those of us who are employed in North America. I specifically ponder how long it will be before my job is out-sourced to India or South America because I speak with these people and sure, they may have an accent, but that is not in any way an indicator of your ability to communicate in that language... case in point Arnold Schwarzenegger, he will never lose that Austrian accent. I am not commenting upon whether or not he is good at being governer of California, but he does seem to communicate well, orally at least, I've never read his writing/emails.

I am increasingly working with people all over the world and I see how they value education and the ability to speak and write in English. Just as I have spent a lot of money to educate myself to speak and write Spanish in a business environment, people in foreign countries, from what I can perceive, see the importance of being able to write well. I could bring up the topic of public education and what not, but that's not my point. I see a lot of smugness. I guess it comes down to people thinking they're better than everyone else. I know a lot of people think they're better than me because I speak Spanish with a gringo accent, but hey, I find that work goes a lot smoother for me when I'm nice to people.

I can't help but wonder at what point we start seeing people from non-English speaking countries start to become a powerhouse in things we traditionally excel in. Say, in India, what if the next generation teaches their children to listen to American and Spanish music, German news ?

pondering the future,
Daniel V.