[nflug] Meetings - A Brief History of NFLUG and its Future

frank pirrone frankpirrone at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 00:40:47 EST 2008

Brian Powell wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 4:45 PM, ron browning
> <ron_browning14223 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Having done a few presentations, I can say the group is vary, vary
>> diversified and it is hard to do general topics for all. Some
>> topics are off limits -- i.e. development ( I've been a developer
>> for 40+ years yet the group isn't interested!)  What should be the
>> topics or range of topics?  At what level?  This would have to be
>> answered first!
>>

> Ron,
>
> Very valid point and hence the suggestion of possibly having 2
> individual meetings a month with topics catered to different targeted
>  audiences. I will say this, the current members of WNYLUG without
> including the NFLUG group has quite a number of developers that would
>  be very interested in presentations from someone like yourself. They
>  are very enthusiastic about learning how to begin developing with
> Linux and Open Source.

Technical clubs can benefit from the inclusion of special interest
groups, or SIGs.  These groups operate under the auspices of the host
club, but doing so with significant independence.  Some examples of
possible SIGs within WNYLUG might be:

LAMP setup and utilization
MySQL administration and applications
PHP/PERL coding in Web pages
BASH scripting and CLI utilities
Programming languages
and a great big etc.

The way this might work is introductory presentations cover at a general
level issues and capabilities of those areas of interest and enterprise.
Then folks inflamed by those presentations forge a WNYLUG SIG, with
its own listserve for efficient communication and to unite the members.
Further, each SIG can set its own meeting parameters - time and
duration, monthly meetings at the LUG's faciilty, twice monthly meetings
rotating through member's houses.  Whatever.

Finally, the SIGs would report their workings and product to the LUG's
membership at the general meetings, serving to formalize and validate
their explorations as well as sustaining an outreach to other potential
SIG members.

None of this would preclude focusing on either introductory topics or
expert topics at general meetings - items of interest to hobbyists as
well as IT professionals and those studying for such a career.

This would serve to at least reduce the difficulty in setting a mission
and depth for the LUG, and would better ensure something for everyone
who might actually join and attend meetings.

Frank