[nflug] openldap

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 24 22:01:58 EST 2008

LDAP as a directory can be used to HOST SO MUCH information - the most common anonymous bind data is address book data.

If you want anyone to be able to look up Name, e-mail, phone number and other Public data then that data will normally be sent from the LDAP server to any Client that connects and searches.

Then any other data (address, password, job description, personal info) can be secured for authorized users who present the proper credentials.

MANY Directory software products (Domino, Active Directory) that have an LDAP server built in will have some public data available to anonymous so always search your LDAP server with a non- autheticated client and see what it gives back.  All these settings can be changed but the location to change it is different for each piece of software.  Of course OpenLdap and other LDAP servers will tend to use the same config files.  (Many Directory server products are really Open Ldap under the hood e.g. Tivoli Directory Server).

JJN
Formerly of IBM now with PayPal.