[nflug] Replacing a Notebook Drive ....

Richard Hubbard hubbardr at adelphia.net
Sat Nov 22 08:57:14 EST 2008

I've replaced a few laptop hard drives, so I'll give it a go.

First, as long as they are both the same kind of drive (sata/IDE/ etc)
then the new one will work.  SATA 150 refers to the transfer speed, 1.5
mbits/sec.  If you get a SATA 3.0, then you will spending more money to
not get any more speed.(the controller on the laptop won't figure it
out, so the drive will talk at 1.5)
The 5400 vs 7200 stuff...That is how fast the platter spins.  The faster
it spins, the more quickly your computer will find stuff on the drive
(access time).  (If you want, I can go into an explanation...but here is
the wiki  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_drive).

So in general, getting exactly the same hard drive will work great.
Getting a faster one, as long as it is in your budget, will be worth it
(don't mortgage the house for the extra speed).

Cloning...It can be done, but I haven't done it with Linux (which may be
the easiest one to do it on). Here is the problem, because it is a
laptop, you can't put two drives in there at once. On the other hand, if
you get an external SATA usb enclosure (they are relatively inexpensive
...http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3293594&Sku=ULT40120
$20 at tigerdirect), you may be able to do it.
If it is Windows, many hard drives come with a bundled app which will
allow you to make a clone, which will work fine if it is going into the
same machine.  Again, you still have the "laptop problem"

Unfortunately, I will have to leave the rest of your questions for
someone with more experience along those lines...