[nflug] Wine usage question

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Tue Nov 18 14:09:28 EST 2008

Short version:

I have a windows app I run under wine that always displays a blank dos
window when I run it directly from a link to application on my desktop.
I wrote a bash script to run it and put that in a link to application
and that works without the blank dos window.  Why doesn't the first way
work?

Long version:

I have a small old windows application that stores all my passwords.  I
like it because it's simple and I can access it (dual boot) from Windows
or Linux.  It just displays a very simple window with a list of accounts
and clicking on one of those opens a child window with the details.  It
has no graphics or anything fancy.  On the windows side, installing it
was as simple as unzipping it and creating a desktop shortcut for it -
no setup at all.

On the Linux side (kubuntu hardy), I created a link to application on my
desktop with Command set to
wineconsole /media/windoze/Program Files/Passkeeper/pass32.exe
and work path set to
/media/windoze/Program Files/Passkeeper

It works fine, but when I start it up, I always get a blank dos window
on the screen first and then the application window appears.  I have to
manually minimize the dos window to get it out of the way.  It does
nothing useful by itself.  But, if I close it, it closes the application
with it.

I tried to run it as as wine instead of wineconsole, but that does
nothing at all - at least on the screen and dmesg.

Running under wineconsole, ps shows:

bigbird  18404  6477  0 13:29 ?        00:00:00 wineconsole.exe
/media/windoze/Program Files/Passkeeper/pass32.exe
bigbird  18408     1  0 13:29 ?        00:00:00
/usr/bin/../lib/../bin/wineserver
bigbird  18411     1  0 13:29 ?        00:00:00
c:\windows\system32\services.exe
bigbird  18413 18411  0 13:29 ?        00:00:00
c:\windows\system32\winedevice.exe MountMgr
bigbird  18420     1  0 13:29 ?        00:00:00
c:\windows\system32\explorer.exe /desktop
bigbird  18421 18404  0 13:29 ?        00:00:00 /media/windoze/Program
Files/Passkeeper/pass32.exe
bigbird  18587  6658  0 13:31 pts/0    00:00:00 ps -aef
bigbird at sananda:~/pq$

On my old desktop (Mandrake 9.1), the same app runs fine with no dos
window.  I'm not in front of it right now, but I think it works with
wine - doesn't need wineconsole.

I wrote the following script and used it as a link to application on my
desktop and it works without specifying the application path and doesn't
create the dos window.

#!/bin/bash
## Start my password safe application
cd "/media/windoze/Program Files/Passkeeper"
wine ./pass32.exe

Any ideas on why the original approach doesn't work?  I'd like to
understand what's going on.

Thanks.

Joe