[nflug] Dell PowerEdge 750 Questions

Joseph M. LaVigne joe at hits-buffalo.com
Mon Nov 3 19:42:04 EST 2008

While it is not ALWAYS the issue, it is most often the mainboard.

Power on current systems is soft power, through the mainboard.  If the
board is functioning properly, you have a flashing power light when the
system is off, and a solid light when on.  You press the power button,
it closes a circuit on the mainboard, and the power-up sequence is
initiated.

There are several things that can interrupt this.  A short in an add-on
board (including not being properly inserted in the socket) is one of
them.  Faulty memory should still allow poer-up but with POST errors,
but if it isn't fully inserted, it can cause a short, and no power.
Improperly inserted power supply connections can cause this, as can a
power supply problem, though that should cause an error light on the
server in most conditions where power is still being supplied to flash
the power light in the first place.

If you have confirmed that all boards and connectors are properly
inserted, and you have verified proper power from the supply, the ONLY
remaining culprit is the mainboard.  If the system is out of warranty,
this may not be too costly to replace.  there are several on-line shops
that carry refurbished Dell parts.