[nflug] Centos Backup Best Practices

Christopher Hawkins chawkins at bplinux.com
Tue May 27 23:04:23 EDT 2008

I don't know the specifics about this and whether it meets your
requirements, but I have a client who has been using LoneTar for years and
swears by it. He won't use anything else, and I know it has saved him on any
number of occasions... It is not open source, though - I believe it costs
about $500.  http://www.cactus.com/index.php

Another interesting tool that I have used a little bit is MondoRescue.
http://www.mondorescue.org/docs/mondorescue-howto.html

This one is open source, and has some pretty good user interfaces which make
it easy to get up to speed and try it out without a huge learning curve. A
nice feature is that it generates a boot cd which you can use in conjunction
with your other backup media (tape, disk, cd / dvd, NFS, etc.) to easily do
a bare metal recovery.

Good luck,
Chris