[nflug] Meeting and Samba notes

paul paul at paulcosta.com
Tue May 27 16:05:17 EDT 2008

I've been using SuSE Linux since dist 6.4 and love it
SuSE has partnered with Novell since 10.1 or 10.2
I started using SuSE because of all the extra packages they include in
their distro
and because that was the distro that was being used at the University @
Buffalo when I attended classes there.

SuSE has been around longer than most other distros, and seems to be
very stable and has a lot of support

I have never used anything else but would like to see what others are
using and why

Side note:
I was having problems with my samba server also (I changed some of my
nic card settings)
While my Linux box could see my Windoz box myWindoz box could not see my
Linux box
After fiddling with the smb.conf file a bit, Windowz could see the share
but not authenticate

I found that I had to wait for 2-5 min after rebooting Windoz before
Windoz would  recognize and authenticate

I was going to install webman as a last resort, but ended up not needing
it at this time

I have attached a text file of the notes that I made while trying how to
figure it out
hope it helps someone