[nflug] Automated Email Processing - Retrieve Emails and save along with attachements on Samba share

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Thu May 15 10:17:34 EDT 2008

Wouldn't a better approach be to format the message as html and make
them available on a web server? By going about it this way you don't
loose the threading of messages, they appear in chronological order, you
can sort based on thread, author, date, etc, and you can easily scan the
messages from the Subject. If you drop them into a samba directory for
each message you're going to have at a minimum 1 file, for messages with
attachments there will be 2+ files. Just think about how quickly that is
going to get our of control and messy.

I'd use 'fetchmail' to pull the mail from the pop3/imap source and run
'hypermail' or some other mail2html tool on the local mailbox to convert
to html and dump the files to a web accessible folder. When you need to
print out the messages you could script it with a2ps or from your browser.