[offlist]Re: [nflug] Opinions on Linux and Massive Storage

Richard Hubbard rhubby at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 30 15:49:59 EDT 2008

The optimization depends on how you set it up.  When you initialize a RAID from an ATTO controller, you are given a choice of optimizations, based on your use.  Plus, if you don't like the buttons, you can set block size, stripe size, + several other adjustments so it can be set up for exactly what you want. (I clicked the button in my setup...)

I'm not sure what you are referring to with the "single controller" setup, but there were 2 scenarios that I thought you might be referring to, so here goes:
Our RAID controllers can be setup in parallel, so if you want to set up RAID1 across 2 - 7500 FastStream controllers, each FastStream controlling a RAID 5 or (in another couple of months) RAID 6, you can have a pretty "hard core" RAID 10+ setup.
Or, if you were looking at, for example, our SAS controllers, and saw (for example) the H348, that's not a RAID controller, so you would need a software RAID solution. The R348 is a RAID controller, and can give you RAID0, 1, 5, and 10 right out of the box. (Again, in a couple of months, we will have a firmware upgrade to give you RAID 6).

So, depending on your redundancy needs, I think our stuff can cover you.  I am pretty biased (they're paying me to be biased!), but I'll put ATTO's stuff against anyone elses SAS/FibreChannel/SCSI raid conrollers/host adapters on any speed, reliability and customer service competition.  Price competition...well, we are the pricy one.

ATTO Technology Inc