[nflug] duplicate name - samba ldap winxp

Eric Benoit eric at bootz.us
Tue Jun 17 11:06:30 EDT 2008

I have done what you said numerous times..

everytime I change the netbios name the Ldap/samba server accepts it and
adds it as a machine to my ldap directory, but when the computer
restarts I get ... A duplicate name exists on the network

currently, I'm trying a new approach... I'm thinking that the fully
qualified name of the machine is being rejected by samba and thus making
the machine look like it is the domain example:

I change machine name to ROOM1 for domain LDAPLINUX
   LDAPLINUX accepts this name and adds it to the ldap directory ...just
like adding a new machine to an ADS

When the machine restarts some how the name ROOM1 is not seen by the
LDAPLINUX server and only sees the domain it is trying to join LDAPLINUX
which some how makes (netbios)LDAPLINUX think the machine is trying to
be LDAPLINUX and the server wins as browse master

... trying to explain this is complicated for me for obvious reasons :)