[nflug] AMD64 Debian 'Etch' Stability

Robert Wolfe robert at muzzlethem.com
Wed Jun 11 09:27:08 EDT 2008

_____

From: K O [mailto:wpos2 at roadrunner.com]
To: nflug at nflug.org
Sent: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 19:08:58 -0400
Subject: Re: [nflug] AMD64 Debian 'Etch' Stability

  David J. Andruczyk pisze:
  > 64 bit  OS's are needed for only the few reasons:
  >  1. you have more than 4 GB of ram, AND you want your processes to be able to address all of it (Databases,  high performance virtualization,  VMware ESX, Xen, etc)

  Then I wonder: what is the logic of going thru the trouble of making a
  motherboard that will accept a 64 bit processor but no more than 2 GB of
  RAM?  Sounds like a decision driven by marketing to reel in guinea
  pig/fools like me, much like with Windows ME.  (Fortunately, I see past
  the latter.)  Perhaps Speed Step has the potential to fill in somewhat.

Sounds like the motherboard I have for my Desktop (running Windows 2008 with 2 Ubuntu Server VMs in the mix <G>).