[nflug] VMWare/VirtualBox Virtualization problem under Fedora 8

Gregory Hoerner greghsr at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 12:28:00 EST 2008

Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I've been using RedHat/Fedora Core for about 7 years now, the past year exclusively as a desktop and server OS. I've recently built a system from spare parts which is capable of hardware virtualization, so I decided to make an "all purpose" box. here's what I want to accomplish:

1. The base system is Fedora Core 8
2. I'm running Windows Vista in a VirtualBox VM (I have a universal programmer which I haven't been able to locate software for for linux, finding a working Windows versions was enough of a royal pain).
3. I want to run Solaris in a VM (haven't used it in about 3/4 years... this is just for fun/learning).
4. I want to run NetBSD in a VM (I have some BSD work coming up, so I figured I'd start to learn the differences between Linux and BSD now).
5. [Here's the kicker] I want to run Leopard (OS X 10.5) in a VM (strictly for testing some cross-platform Apps, and web sites in Safari).

So... Mac OS X Tiger (10.4) runs under VMWare Player (not very well might I add... my CPU usage sits at 100%... feels like it's running on a 200MHz machine it's so unresponsive).

Leopard (10.5) gives an "Assertion Failed" error under VirtualBox because VirtualBox doesn't support guest PAE. VMWare Player supposedly does, but I get no helpful messages in the logs (just reports the last successful operation, not what failed), and after the "Darwin Loading x86" message, the VM simply dies w/o warning.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried or accomplished running Leopard under any virtualization software under any *nix systems and to what success, or if anyone has any ideas what to try next?

I use Fedora heavily as a desktop OS, that's why I'd prefer to keep it as the host OS... a major performance hit running my primary OS under virtualization would hurt.

P.S. - I'm running Fedora 8 x86_64 because VMWare Player complained about trying to run a 64-Bit guest (Leopard) under a 32-Bit host.

P.P.S. - QEMU and KVM don't support Vista, so I haven't tried those at all... Xen gave me absolutely horrible performance (I did a small benchmarking to help make my decision of which VM to use)... This is my reason for attepting with these two VM's.