[nflug] 64 bit edumacation

David J. Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 18:55:03 EST 2008

to access all 4GB of a system , use the PAE kernel :)

Yes ther are advantages of 64 bit, but in many cases you need to have the RESOURCES  (i.e. morethan 4 GB or ram) to make it worthwhile to actualy use a 64 bit OS.

most OSS apps build and run fine on 64 bit,  it's those binary only apps that are troublesome,  flash,  nvidia/ATI drivers (some work, some don't in 64 bit mode)  hence for your avg user who doesn't have more that 4Gigs of ram,  a 64 bit OS doesn't gain them much of anything.

-- David J. Andruczyk