[nflug] Let's go old, old, old school linux

D. Joe nflug at etrumeus.com
Fri Jan 4 16:17:20 EST 2008

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 12:22:08PM -0500, eric wrote:
> Linus + minix + GNU = Linux    right?

No.

> maybe try looking at the history of slackware then debian etc...

Indeed:

Linux (which is 'just' a kernel) 1991
 http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.minix/msg/2194d253268b0a1b

Debian (1993)
 http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.minix/msg/2194d253268b0a1b

Slackware (1993)
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slackware

and the first Linux distribution I had heard of, MCC (1992)
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MCC_Interim_Linux

Even if one persists in that whole "Linux means Linux+GNU" thing
that so grates on Stallman's nerves (and doesn't make it any
easier for people to understand why there are so many different
distributions with so many cross-compatibility issues), the GNU
project itself wasn't announced until 1983, wasn't started until
1984, with GCC not being released until 1987:

 http://www.network-theory.co.uk/docs/gccintro/gccintro_4.html

and Gilmore reports not getting BSD to build on it before 1989:

 http://www.toad.com/gnu/cygnus/index.html

in the run-up to starting Cygnus at the turn of the decade.

So, yeah.  What we now call free software or open source
software of FOSS or FLOSS or whatever did exist in the '80s in
some form, and proprietary Unix did, but Linux didn't in any
form.

--
D. Joe