[nflug] Postfix Autoresponder

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Tue Feb 26 09:01:46 EST 2008

Postfix will only accept email for valid accounts on the system, this is
controlled by the 'local_recipient_maps' value which is normally
'local_recipient_maps = proxy:unix:passwd.byname $alias_maps'. So as
long as the user 'info' is not a valid user or alias Postfix will reject
mail for that address. To check this value use 'postconf
local_recipient_maps'.

Having said that the 'unknown_local_recipient_reject_code' variable
controls what Postfix does with mail sent to unknown recipients. The
default it normally 550 (reject mail) but some systems, like older SuSE
releases, set this value to 450 (try again later) which will cause the
mailq to grow until cleared. Check it's value with 'postconf' to make
sure it's 550.

Both of these values can to change by modifying /etc/postfix/mail.cf and
reloaded Postfix or using 'postconf -e'. See postconf(1) for more details.

If you're interested in a really really good book on Postfix I'd
recommend 'The Book of Postfix' by Ralf Hildebrandt. It's replaced the
Bat Book on my bookshelf many years ago and is actually enjoyable to read.

--
Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator
Email: darinper at cognigencorp.com