[nflug] testing mailserver & bind

Andrew Long fursink at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 17:03:15 EST 2008

I'd like to set up a test mailserver on our network. Eventually, the
purpose would be to handle the mail for our domain which is now farmed
out. My confusion comes in setting up the DNS (bind) and on the right
configuration for the hostname and interfaces, etc.

My confusion probably arises from not having a firm grasp of DNS and
common practices in setting up public services within private lan
segments (using the Cisco PIX to route requests).

I tried to come up with a specific question, but, if there are folks
with with experience here, I'd just like to start a dialog and try to
learn something...

I have built several severs for our company, postfix, freeradius, and
I always manage to muck my way through, but I could use the input of
anyone with experience in this area...

On a side note... Is there any intention of this group having any
meetings on the LAN segment? IE in a physical location.

Regards,

Andrew