[nflug] More touchpad issues

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Tue Feb 12 16:15:12 EST 2008

I have a few problems with my touchpad.  Before I send the whole
notebook for servicing, are there any settings I should check, etc.?  I
have a HP Pavilion dv5020us which has a built-in synaptics touchpad,
running kubuntu gutsy.

- In some applications, I have to triple-click (by tapping) (or more) to
select a word to edit.  It should only be a double-click.  The physical
left and right mouse/pad buttons work correctly, but sometimes I have to
push them hard.

- When I move the mouse-pointer (with the touchpad), it often moves
wildly - especially when I am lifting my finger off the pad.  If I move
my finger rapidly around the touchpad, it seems to make this behavior go
away for awhile, but it can come back in the same session.

This one has to be software:

- Sometimes when I am multi-clicking on some text to try to select it, a
bunch of text gets pasted in from somewhere - probably the clipboard.
What causes this?  Today, when it happened, for the first time ever, I
saw a fleeting popup message that said something about strigi desktop
search.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

TIA

Joe