[nflug] Help needed Initializing a new notebook disk drive

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Tue Dec 30 15:54:51 EST 2008

I just got a new drive for my notebook.  The old drive still works, but
has some bad spots on it (that are out of the way for now).

The notebook is an HP dv5020us Centrino Duo.  It is dual boot kubuntu
hardy and Win XP.

The new HD is Hitachi HTS543232L9A300 5400rpm SATA 320GB 3GB/s drive.
I thought I ordered a 1.5 GB/s drive, but that's not what the label on
the drive says.
My old (current) drive (/dev/sda) is a 120GB 1.5GB/s drive (ST9120821AS)
ATA-5 4200rpm and my controller is probably a 1.5GB/s controller.

Is that enough to make the new drive incompatible with my system?

I hooked up the drive to my notebook using a Vantec SATA/IDE to USB 2.0
adapter.

When I plug it into the usb port, nothing seems to happen, but when I
look, I see that /dev/sdb appears when the drive is plugged in.  the
drive is very quiet, but I can hear it spinning when I put it next to my
ear.

I rebooted the notebook from my gparted live CD.
I expected gparted to be able to see and setup the new drive, but it
does not see it at all.

I thought about swapping the new and old drive in the notebook and then
booting from gparted again, but since gparted can see and work with my
other usb drive (currently unplugged), I'm not sure if that will help.

What do I do next?

I have a blinking rebate to send in right away, so I need to determine
if the drive will work asap.