[nflug] Re: Samba/MySQL Woes

Daniel Colascione dan.colascione at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 23:06:41 EDT 2008

Hello there. I just joined the list.

I can't help with the MySQL problem, though generally, I'd suggest
getting the debugging information for samba and stepping through it
with gdb. (Use the source, Luke.) There's also running smbd under
strace to see whether it's trying to find any missing files. Also, try
enabling more verbose debugging. LogLevel 99 spits out a stupifying
amount of information.

But why use MySQL as a user backend for Samba anyway? LDAP solutions
are likely to be far better tested, and work fine. At my company, we
store user information in an OpenLDAP database, and we use Kerberos V
for Unix-side authentication.  For Windows-side authentication, Samba
uses its own password hashes, which are stored right in the LDAP
database. When a user changes his password, both the Samba hashes and
the Kerberos principal are updated.

Aside from a file descriptor leak in an old version of RHEL4's
pam_krb5, this solution has worked flawlessly for years.