[nflug] Fwd: EXTREMELY URGENT PROBLEM WITH ESX/ESXi 3.5 Update 2 – THIRD UPDATE

Robert Wolfe robertwolfe at localnet.com
Thu Aug 14 08:14:14 EDT 2008

Thought I would share this with everyone on the mailing list:

Subject: EXTREMELY URGENT PROBLEM WITH ESX/ESXi 3.5 Update 2 – THIRD
UPDATE
Date: Wednesday 13 August 2008 17:03
From: The VMware ESX Product Team <vmwareteam at connect.vmware.com>
To: robertwolfe at localnet.com

If your email program has trouble displaying this email, view it as a
 web page
 [http://app.connect.vmware.com/e/es.aspx?s=524&e=d6b7d16b03bc492381640
6692ae83751&elq=545BD8EC01BE4EB09C90332500E37C9A]

To update your subscription and language preference, please visit
 [http://info.vmware.com/forms/Subscription?elq=545BD8EC01BE4EB09C90332
500E37C9A]

VMware

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ESX/ESXi 3.5 Update 2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear VMware Customers,

We have released the express patches for the product expiration
issue. Please go to
 [http://app.connect.vmware.com/e/er.aspx?s=524&lid=3173&elq=545BD8EC01
BE4EB09C90332500E37C9A] for download and KB articles. Since our last
 customer email we have completed our verification tests that the
 express patches we’ve released are fully compatible with the VMware
 Update
Manager. Please see the KB articles for deployment information
regarding Update Manager.

The KB articles are kept up-to-date. Please refer to the KB
articles for information and updates.

In our last update, we referred to an initiative by our support
and engineering teams to find an option to apply the patch
without the necessity of entering maintenance mode and VMotion
of VM’s to other servers, or VM power-off and re-power-on. Our
earlier tests have not found a consistently successful way to
address this. We continue to investigate this possibility, as
we know that it would reduce the maintenance burden on our
customers who may not have a patched server available for
VMotion.

We are on target to release updated versions of the
ESX/ESXi 3.5 Update 2 patch at 6 PM PST today. This is for
customers who have not already upgraded to the previously
released version of ESX/ESXi 3.5 Update 2

Thank you,

The VMware ESX Product Team

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Problem:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An issue has been discovered by many VMware customers and
partners with ESX Update 2 (build number 103909) and
ESXi 3.5 Update 2 (build number 103908) where Virtual
Machines fail to power on or VMotion successfully. This
problem began to occur on August 12, 2008 for customers
that had upgraded to ESX 3.5 Update 2. The problem is caused
by a build timeout that was mistakenly left enabled for the
release build.

The following message is displayed in the vmware.log file for
the virtual machine:

This product has expired. Be sure that your host machine's
date and time are set correctly.
There is a more recent version available at the VMware
web site:
 [http://app.connect.vmware.com/e/er.aspx?s=524&lid=3174&elq=545BD8EC01
BE4EB09C90332500E37C9A]. --------------
Module License Power on failed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Affected Products:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- VMware ESX 3.5 Update 2 & ESXi 3.5 Update 2.

- The problem will be seen if ESX350-200806201-UG is applied
   to a system.

- No other VMware products are affected.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Resolution:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VMware Engineering has produced express patches for impacted
customers to resolve the issue.

_______

VMware, Inc. 3401 Hillview Ave Palo Alto CA 94304 USA Tel
 1-877-486-9273 Copyright © 2008 VMware, Inc. All rights reserved.
 VMware is a registered trademark of VMware, Inc.
Thank you for registering with VMware. Any information that you provide
 to VMware will be treated in accordance with our Privacy Policy:
[http://www.vmware.com/help/privacy.html?elq=545BD8EC01BE4EB09C90332500
E37C9A]

To manage your profile and subscription preferences, please visit
 VMware Profile:
 [http://info.vmware.com/forms/Profile?elq=545BD8EC01BE4EB09C90332500E3
7C9A]

To UNSUBSCRIBE completely from
VMware communications, please go to
[http://info.vmware.com/content/opt-out?elq=545BD8EC01BE4EB09C90332500E
37C9A]

Robert Wolfe (MCP/Linux+), Systems Administrator
LocalNet/CoreComm Internet Services
Web: http://www.localnet.com | http://www.core.com
Direct: (716) 799-8884