[nflug] NTFS Partitions And RHEL 5.2

Tony E - Jaraeth jaraeth at phoenixwing.com
Mon Aug 11 21:12:02 EDT 2008

My bad, those packages are in the rpmforge repository:

http://rpmrepo.org/RPMforge/Using

Visit there to get the repo installed and then it should show up in your
yum search.  One package I should add to the list that will show up as a
requirement anyhow:  'fuse'.

Happy installing...

  Tony E
  "Raptus regaliter"
  jaraeth at phoenixwing.com
  http://www.phoenixwing.com/

Cyber Source wrote:
> To see all the packages your repos are offering, do this "yum search >
> yumlist" then you can search through the file yumlist for the package,
> as they may have called it something else, etc.. The utility package
> for ntfs I believe should be called ntfsprogs and that's a handy one
> to have for the tools it contains. If you install, just type ntfs and
> hit the tab a few times to see all the choices of little programs at
> your disposal. Knowing how anal RH can be, I doubt it's in any of the
> standard repos and it would be much simpler to just go to the ntfs-3g
> site to install the package, then mount your ntfs partitions as
> "ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/mountpoint", assuming of course your ntfs is
> on the first partition of a scsi or scsi translated drive. The
> defaults mount it rw for all I believe, so be careful what it's
> exposed to after.
>
> Robert Wolfe wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:42:59 -0700
>> Tony E - Jaraeth <jaraeth at phoenixwing.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Using 'yum' you should be able to do "yum search ntfs", as the
>>> default kernel may or may not allow for reading ntfs volumes.  If
>>> not, I'd suggest the following packages to read/write to NTFS:
>>>
>>> ntfsprogs
>>> ntfs-progs-devel
>>> fuse-ntfs-3g