[nflug] Help- At a Loss

justin.bennett at dynabrade.com justin.bennett at dynabrade.com
Mon Aug 11 13:46:28 EDT 2008

Hey guys,

        This is a little off topic, but I need some help. I'm experiencing
some packet loss on an internal network at one of our remote locations. I
don't understand why, It's network wide, if I try to ping a windows server
from a local desktop, I'll loose between 6-19% of the packets, If I ping
one server from another, or desktop to desktop, I get packet loss, so bad
it's affecting the performance of the network to the point where DNS
lookups fail and sites can't be reached. I thought it was the network
switch there, but I had him replace it with a new one, (different brand)
same problem. Is there anything that may be causing this? I'm looking for
thoughts at the moment. Basically it's windows XP clients doing DHCP to a
Linux box running samba as a file server, and the a Windows 2003 server as
their application system.

Thanks
Justin