[nflug] Samba

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Thu Aug 7 16:56:39 EDT 2008

That is no problem and it all can be accomplished with the "valid user"
parameter. I would suggest thoroughly reading through a "man smb.conf".
Here is an excerpt from that man..

To restrict a service to a particular set of users you can use the
valid users parameter.

If any of the usernames begin with a ’@’ then the name will be
looked up first in the NIS netgroups list (if Samba is compiled with
netgroup support), followed by a lookup in the UNIX groups database
and will expand to a list of all users in the group of that name.

If any of the usernames begin with a ’+’ then the name will be
looked up only in the UNIX groups database and will expand to a list
of all users in the group of that name.

If any of the usernames begin with a ’&’ then the name will be
looked up only in the NIS netgroups database (if Samba is compiled
with netgroup support) and will expand to a list of all users in the
netgroup group of that name.

Note that searching though a groups database can take quite some
time, and some clients may time out during the search.