[nflug] RHEL/CentOS 5.1 install

Christopher Hawkins chawkins at bplinux.com
Wed Apr 30 12:57:22 EDT 2008

I have some notes about what it took to make bootable usb sticks for an
existing system. Many of the same steps will apply and should give you an
idea about making bootable devices with grub. The notes use ext2 though,
which you probably want to change to ext3...

Notes follow:

insert usb stick, ---> /dev/sdb
fdisk /dev/sdb
-- n - create partition
-- p - primary partition
-- a - mark bootable
-- w - write changes
-- q - quit

mke2fs -j /dev/sdb1

tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 /dev/sdb1

mkdir /mnt/usbstick

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usbstick

cp -av /boot /mnt/usbstick

grub info
-- find /boot/grub/stage1  ---> (hd0,0) and (hd1,0) or whatever - say hd1,0
is usb, for sake of example
-- root (hd1,0)
-- setup (hd1) ---> messages will scroll, should say successful at end
-- quit

vi /mnt/usbstick/boot/grub/device.map
-- change to (hd1) /dev/sdb   ---> **hdx should match whatever parameter you
give setup in grub shell**

vi /mnt/usbstick/boot/grub/menu.lst
-- for all kernels, change root line to read:  root  (hd0,0)

set bios to boot from usb, done.

  _____