[nflug] Bridging two Subnets (Linux Router Project?)

justin.bennett at dynabrade.com justin.bennett at dynabrade.com
Fri Sep 14 11:18:51 EDT 2007

Thanks for the replies. :)  No beer yet, but it's still early. :)

Yeah The extra broadcasts I have thought about as well, especially with
200 windows pcs. :)

I do DHCP in our remote offices and we do limited DHCP but it's limted to
certain MAC addresses for some people who have laptops, we don't use DHCP
for the 200 desktops for the fact that we have remote salesmen who
routinely fly to Buffalo for training (they plug into alot of hotel
connections) and I don't just want them to plug into the network and get
an address, unless we virusscan their PCs first, and didn't feel like
maintinaing 200 host entries for the desktops.

I'll keep vyatta in mind but I think any out of the box linux distribution
is sufficent for this instance.

Thanks!

Justin

"Mark Musone" <mmusone at shatterit.com>
Sent by: nflug-bounces at nflug.org
09/14/2007 11:07 AM
Please respond to
nflug at nflug.org

<nflug at nflug.org>
cc

Subject
RE: [nflug] Bridging two Subnets (Linux Router Project?)

Oh..one more thing..i’m not a fan of option #1, less because of your
negatives, and mostly because of bandwidth, collisions, and broadcast
storms..I tend to like only having a max of 250 servers/network because it
creates a self-imposed line in the sand to ensure that my bandwidth does
not get saturated..

Mark