[nflug] Thunderbird under kubuntu feisty

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sun Oct 21 16:45:57 EDT 2007

Cyber Source wrote:
> If you want to use the new version, you need to rename your existing
> .mozilla-thunderbird folder to .thunderbird in ~, otherwise it will
> create one named the latter if it doesn't see one already, if it does
> see it named as such, it will read all in there just fine.
>
> Joe wrote:
>> Hi.  I have the feisty version of TB installed and working.  I
>> downloaded the latest TB and installed it under /opt/thunderbird.
>>
>> When I use the feisty version, it keeps everything in
>> $HOME/.mozilla-thunderbird.
>>
>> When I run the new version, it puts its stuff in $HOME/.thunderbird so
>> it can't find any of my mail, etc.
>>
>> I tried erasing all of .thunderbird and copying the old files into it
>> and I tried linking .thunderbird to .mozilla-thunderbird.  Neither
>> worked.  It acted as if it was starting with no accounts, etc.
>>
>> Anyone know how to install this properly?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Joe

I tried that and got the same results as copying it.
It almost works, but at startup, it asks for a profile (even though
there is only "default".
If I select "default", it takes me to defining everything like nothing
is there.
If I just close the dialog, TB opens up looking fine (all my folders
show up ...) *except* the bottom inch of the window shows an incomplete
piece of code that looks like xml  and the error console shows an error
in "chrome:" that I didn't bother to write down since I'm not going into
TB internals.

Any ideas?

Joe