[nflug] Linux Certification

Brad Bartram brad.bartram at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 13:38:20 EDT 2007

Just to interject on this, there is currently movement being made to create
a professional standards organization for security professionals, much like
exists for lawyers and doctors.

My own $.02 on the matter is that certain certs are good depending on the
level of the career.  For an entry level - get the A+, Linux+, Security+.
Once you've been in the field for long enough to have your feet moist go for
the higher level - MCSE, RHSE, CCNA or CCDA, or the CISP.  Once you've been
in the field for awhile, then go for the gusto - CCNP, CCDP, CCIE, CISSP,
etc.  Show growth within your field and that you care enough about your
professional development to be certified at increasingly higher levels.  It
goes along the same lines as any professional field - as you maintain your
professional licenses you must have continuing education credits.

Certs are nice, but they are not the end all be all.  Just as having a
degree in history doesn't make you an history expert, having a cert does
automatically grant knowledge, respect or prestige - contrary to what the
training business advertise.  A cert without the backup knowledge is
worthless.  Unfortunately, a cert will sometimes allow for an easier path to
get in the door of certain interviews or positions.  Normally, they generate
a good return on the investment, but it's best to always know exactly what
they mean and what they do - they are a marketing tool, treat them as such.

Brad