[nflug] Linux Certification

Michael Richardson mtr3 at buffalo.edu
Mon Oct 8 11:56:16 EDT 2007

NFLUGers,

	I concur with Mark and his colleague.

	When we used to hire for a mom-n-pop PC repair company, we used to see a lot of
cram-and-exam candidates come in who knew jack about hardware. Another department head
here admitted to me at one time that he didn't even pay attention to certifications listed
on a resume - he was more concerned with the candidate's actual ability than how they did
on a test.

	I've mulled over several certification tracks (MCSE, Solaris, MySQL, LPI) over the years
and have yet to even begin one. Not necessarily because I didn't have the time or could
not complete the track, but because I felt it would not adequately separate me from
"everyone and their grandma" who took the exam.

	There's a fine balance between keeping these exams cheap (and therefore accessible to the
masses) and expensive enough to ensure candidates are serious in pursuing the material and
properly demonstrating actual knowledge.

Just my $0.025...

Mike

--
Michael Richardson
Web Programmer, ePharmacotherapy Networks