[nflug] Meeting on October 20

David Liana dliana at frontiernet.net
Fri Oct 5 16:48:55 EDT 2007

There are pros and cons to charging dues...

The MUG in Rochester charges dues, but they offer a few things in return:
1.  They print (I think are moving to the web) and mail a monthly
newsletter with artciles, reviews, etc.
2.  I believe the money is also used for a laptop, software, A/V
equipment to record meetings for memebers and the general public.
3.  Only members can win prizes when they have raffles (they have been
known to raffle off some good stuff like iPods, USB thumb drives,
iTunes gift cards)

They do allow the unpaying members to attend meetings.

However, as you state, "officers" have to decide how money is used,
which can be a cause of much heated debate.

People will probably pay, as long as it's a fair price and there is
some perceived value.