[nflug] Meeting on October 20

Richard Hubbard hubbardr at adelphia.net
Fri Oct 5 13:49:39 EDT 2007

There will be an NFLUG meeting on October 20, 2007.  Location is at ITT
Technical Institute, 2295 Millersport Hwy Getzville NY 14068. Go in the
"Student Entrance" Turn Right, and it is in Lab 7.

There is no topic yet for this meeting.  Last time Mark had an excellent
presentation on Home automation.

There were some points brought up that may be of interest.

The first is that we initially held the meetings at 1:30 because ITT
classes got out at 1:00.  Now ITT classes are finishing at 12:30 or
earlier, and we can probably hold the meeting at 1:00 pm or earlier.  So
the first question, would 1:00 pm be a better time?

Second (and Mark can fill in more details here) there is an idea in
affiliating the NFLUG with InfoTech Niagara.  This will potentially do a
couple of things.  First is boost membership, as people dealing with
Linux will learn about the LUG.  Plus, Some ITN members will be inclined
to look at membership in a more career enhancing manner. More
membership, especially from the professional world can get better
meetings, more varied presentations, better networking opportunities for
those people looking to break into the industry (students, pay attention!)

Now the bad news, we will probably need to set up some kind of dues
schedule, at least for those attending meetings. No, this won't be
excessive, and there should be things like student memberships, etc.
That said, there are good things that can come from that, too. Does
anyone have any comments on this ..
(Note, if you've never attended a meeting, and never have any plans on
attending a meeting, because you live in Kansas or something, please
don't flame the list.  Since it won't affect you one way or another,
there is nothing to be gained except a reputation as an Internet Tough Guy)

Mark was also mentioning holding meetings at his new digs.  Would
downtown Buffalo be more convenient for people? ITT has been good to us,
but some people have expressed problems with getting there, especially
on public transportation.  We won't do this move without plenty of
warning, and of course, if Mark has changed his mind, that will be
another issue...:-)

As always, if there is anyone with something new and cool to show,
please let me know, and we'll revolve the meeting around you.