[nflug] ldap ubuntu errors

Jon Skulski jskulski at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 15:24:37 EST 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to (eventually) authorize my linux box against an ldap/kerberos
setup. I am having some trouble. I can talk to the ldap server fine with
ldaptools. The problem is where nss comes in. getent passwd will only list
local entries in passwd. Yes I have nssswitch.conf configured correctly. I
have it configured so correctly that if I listen to the network traffic I
can actually see the ldap request and response, but for some reason NSS
ignores it.

Interesting behaviors:

- only local users and groups are listed by getent
- NSS is ignoring the ldap response
- the ldap response is very very large, so i thought that might be it. i
tried using a smaller base search (only me) and it still ignored the result.
- strace of getent does not show anything unusual
- now whenever I log in or sudo or anything, i have to enter my password
twice. the first time is thrown out, whether right or wrong. this may have
more to do with an incomplete setup of pam.

oh yeah this is all on ubuntu 7.04 fresh install. and i'm about to upgrade
to 7.10 because well, i'm out of ideas.

Anyway, I would really like to get this working because if i don't they'll
make me use windows to develop a php application :O SAVE ME LUG!