[nflug] Firewalls

Christopher Hawkins chawkins at bplinux.com
Tue Nov 20 16:32:26 EST 2007

I've used a lot of individual projects to accomplish those same goals, but
putting them all together and trying to make it "intelligent" is quite an
undertaking.    :-)

For the record, the LVS project ( http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/ ) is a
great load balancer. You could have a linux box running iptables and LVS,
and you'd be able to distribute inbound connections anywhere you want. For
adding automatic detection of what has failed, you can use a monitoring
system like Mon ( http:// <http://mon.wiki.kernel.org> mon.wiki.kernel.org )
and add your own custom checks and scripts. It has a two tiered
architecture: a service check which must exit 0 or 1, and an alert (script)
that gets called when the check fails. For example, you might have an http
service check and an alert that removes the node from the pool in the event
of a failure.

The linux HA project (http://linux-ha.org ) is great for adding fault
tolerance - it can quickly move an IP address / start / stop services from a
failed system to a backup system. I'd recommend sticking with version 1
though... V2 is quite complicated. I avoid it unless I absolutely need it.
For monitoring, I prefer Ganglia. I saw a post the other day from someone
who liked a new project called zabbix... .It looked pretty cool, but I've
never used it.

So if it were me I'd probably build this using the projects mentioned above.
But as Brad said, the other problem here is how much are you willing to put
into this? You could build something really cool that does the job, but if
you can't really dedicate yourself to it, you may be better off buying a
piece of hardware pre-configured. Of course, if you do have the time to
invest, then you can probably build something even more advanced than what
you could buy. I've built a few systems like this, so if you have any
questions I'm happy to share.

Chris

  _____