[nflug] for the crafty scripter

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sun Nov 18 08:13:32 EST 2007

Hello All,
  In tweaking the latest Gusty Gibbon, I have run into a problem that
was driving me nuts (don't reply with the corny joke about that saying
Bob, heard it a hundred times ;)). Anywho, this distro absolutely ROCKS.
Cmon, plugins on the fly?? If I were an M$ stock holder, I would be
sell, sell, sell.
  OK, I thought I found a bug in Gutsy but it turns out to be a problem
with the way I would do things. Problem was, I found that I could NOT
add a user via the users-admin app. It would create the group but
nothing in /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow. Did some googling, found nothing
exactly similar. What I did find is that if I don't put anything in
/etc/skel, I could create the user just fine. If I put some things in
/etc/skel, I could still create the user. However, if, like I would in
the past do a (while in /home/peter) "tar cf - . | (cd /etc/skel && tar
xf -)", I could NOT create the user after, it would show the added user
until I closed and reopened the app, but no /home/newuser would be made,
no entry in passwd or shadow, only the group would be added. I would do
this so I could edit my /home with all the tweaks I wanted and then the
added user would have all the same settings, with a couple of
modifications needed after. However, as in Edgy, this does not work
anymore for whatever reason, there must be something in my hidden
folders or files that is pissing off the mechanism or users-admin in
/etc/skel.
Workaround then in Edgy was to just tar up the /home/peter, create the
new user, remove his home and untar and use that for his home, changing
the name and ownerships of course, all was good.
HOWEVER, this method still works but causes other problems now in that
it appears a lot more files seem to have the old instance and reference
to /home/peter, where it should be now /home/newuser. If I grep the
files for all instances of /home/peter, I see alot more than it use to,
before it was mainly a problem with firefox, as it would have a hard
link in one of the files to the previous owner.
  SO, still here? For those with long attention spans....My question is
this. Since I can't seem to find ANY docs on /etc/skel and the tricks
that may be used and/or a way to duplicate a users whold environment, as
this really cuts down on my time when adding new users, etc..

What would be a command that I could find all instances of "/home/peter"
in all the files of the new users and change them to "/home/newuser"? As
this seems to be the easiest method I can think of. Thoughts? Ideas?

p.s. One of the reasons for this, was that I noticed that while logged
into the new user, a new screen saver, called Picture Folder, was
displaying random pics from web sites that I went to while logged in as
peter. No, no porn but it got me to thinking, this little screensaver
could be a real embarrassment to some people, lol. NOTE: They still
showed, even though before I created the new user from peter, I had
cleared the history, so it's caching the pics somewhere else.

Ok, done. TIA