[nflug] ssh time/warner

David J. Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 19:16:34 EST 2007

use dynamic DNS and implement port-knocking.

Basicaly to a regular portscan ssh will appear closed,
 but when you "knock" the right port/ports in sequence
the ssh port is opened for a short window to the IP
that "knocked" correctly.
It cuts down on ssh brute force attacks by 99.9995%
 and you can use anything from a simple 1 port knock,
to exhorbitantly complex if you're the super paranoid
tin-foil-hat type.

google "port-knocking".  there's integration for it as
well into shorewall, which makes it a snap to setup.

--- eric <eric at bootz.us> wrote:

> I'd like to cut down the possible network
> connections over the internet
> for access to a ssh server.
> I can't afford a static ip so I was wondering if
> anyone new the range of
> internet ip's handed out to users from time/warner
> ...I'm pretty sure my
> DNS servers are coming from Lackawana?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Eric