[nflug] wireless access point

Frank Pirrone frankpirrone at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 16:49:30 EST 2007

Cyber Source wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a very good wireless access point or at least the
> criteria too look for in a wireless access point (decibels and all
> that). I have a building that must be made out of lead, from one floor
> to the other, I get like 4% (it's just a little linksys wireless
> router with built in antenna). I want to get a good wireless access
> point that has some power. TIA,

Cyber,

I have an Orinoco AP-500 that can be administered in Linux from a CLI
application.  My house is a large 1926 wood frame and lath wrapped in an
iron mesh covered by stucco.  There are even four Bethlehem Steel
I-beams on posts in the basement supporting the structure.  Can you say
Farrady Cage, sure you can...

Using a iPaq hand-held with a "sled" holding another Orinoco wireless
PCMCIA card I was able to walk past the two houses and the large church
to the next intersection, and diagonally across that street to the
opposite corner, and still browse the Internet.

My current Actiontech M1424-WR wireless that came with a FIOS
installation shows 100% signal strength throughout the second and first
floors, and about 80% in the back yard next to the pool.  Haven't
repeated the iPaq test as the old dog won't take a charge.

Frank