[nflug] limewire under kubuntu feisty

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Fri Nov 2 02:14:31 EDT 2007

Franklin Kumro Jr wrote:
> sudo update-alternatives java
>
> then select the one you want...also have you looked at frostwire? I
> would use that program over limewire anyday (faster connections).
>
> On 11/1/07, Joe <josephj at main.nc.us> wrote:
>
>> I had it working and did something that broke it.  It was installed as a
>> better version from somewhere and then I got the version from the
>> limewire website and ran dpkg which downgraded it.  Oops!
>>
>> Anyway, now it says:
>>
>> bigbird at sananda:~$ limewire
>> Starting LimeWire...
>> Java exec found in PATH. Verifying...
>> OOPS, you don't seem to have a valid JRE. LimeWire works best with Sun
>> JRE available at http://www.java.com [java = SableVM]
>> You need to upgrade to JRE 1.4.x or newer from http://www.java.com
>> OOPS, unable to locate java exec in  /usr/lib/  hierarchy
>> You need to upgrade to JRE 1.4.x or newer from http://www.java.com
>> OOPS, unable to locate java exec in  /usr/java/  hierarchy
>> You need to upgrade to JRE 1.4.x or newer from http://www.java.com
>> OOPS, unable to locate java exec in  /opt/  hierarchy
>> You need to upgrade to JRE 1.4.x or newer from http://www.java.com
>>
>> But I have at least three versions of jre installed and firefox and OOo
>> seem to be happy with it.
>>
>> So what path, etc. is it looking for?
>>
>> I have the latest jre under /opt/java and /usr/lib/jvm.
>>
>> I don't know java, so I'm pretty much in the dark on this one.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Joe

I ran

sudo update-alternatives java

and got

bigbird at sananda:/etc/alternatives$ sudo update-alternatives java
Password:
update-alternatives: unknown argument `java'

So I need to know more to use this.  I got a vague idea of what's going on from the man page and ran

bigbird at sananda:/etc/alternatives$ update-alternatives --display java
java - status is auto.
 link currently points to /usr/bin/java-sablevm
/usr/bin/gij-wrapper-4.1 - priority 41
 slave java.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/gij-wrapper-4.1.1.gz
/usr/bin/java-sablevm - priority 350
 slave java.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/java-sablevm.1.gz
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java - priority 63
 slave java.1.gz: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/man/man1/java.1.gz
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/jre/bin/java - priority 53
 slave java.1.gz: /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/jre/man/man1/java.1.gz
Current `best' version is /usr/bin/java-sablevm.

I don't really understand this, but it looks like an older version is higher priority than the newer ones.
And, limewire can't find any of them.

Joe