[nflug] tw rr screwjob

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Wed May 30 07:36:17 EDT 2007

Stephen Burke wrote:
> Cyber Source wrote:
>
>> What exactly are you activating? If you activating a new modem, you can
>> call them to "provision" the modem, so it stops the loop back, they can
>> do it from their end using the mac address of the modem. If this was an
>> existing account, you shouldn't need to go through all this. I activate
>> literally hundreds of new accounts and I'm very happy to tell them that
>> I DO NOT have windows and/or IE. Also, I'm not going to do wine or
>> vmware or whatever else it takes to get freaking IE working so they can
>> do whatever they do with active x or whatever the F they wanna work
>> with. And if they tell me that they do not support Linux, I promptly
>> tell them that I'll use the competition because they will work with me,
>> you'll soon get up a level in support and some real help. STOP BEING
>> PUSHED AROUND PEOPLE! TELL THEM YOU USE LINUX! How crazy has this become
>> that we let these people insist on using the most insecure, virus prone
>> POS and tell us that that's what they support??!! SPEAK UP! You'll get
>> heard, they don't want to loose their 50 a month. For dsl, I found a
>> nice little trick to stop the loop back,
>> http://localhost/verizon/redirect.htm in your browser and a little click
>> of a button on that page will stop the redirect. This is what they do
>> from their end and I'm sure RR has something similar, but of course,
>> they want you to put in some POS cd and install some bullshit toolbar,
>> wtf ever else. Can you tell I've done this a few times? And like you,
>> don't like the bs? So, speak up people! Tell them you use Linux!
>>

> I think you're right, after all. This is for activating the former
> adelphia.net email over to the new roadrunner.com one. I finally got
> exploder running here on feisty with ies4linux to get me into the damn
> site and set all the security crap to low so it could run activex, but
> now it's giving me some bs like this:
>
> If you are using Windows 2000 or Windows XP, your userid must have
> Administrator privileges to use the Activation Wizard.
>
> and refusing to go any further. As if just running that damn program
> weren't making me sick enough.
>
> And running this shit as root doesn't seem like a good idea at all.
> Letting tw install some creepy activex bullshit on my machine hardly
> sounds even LESS good.
>
> So it looks like the phone call is next. My threats to use the
> competition will be rather hollow, however, as dsl is still
> unavailable in this neighborhood or I would have switched a long time
> ago.
>
> I'm not a very good bullshitter, but I am truly pissed at this
> creeping M$ fascism.
>
> Thanks for the encouragement, Pete,
> S.

A friend of mine was telling me about this the other day who is a
complete Linux guy and it surprised me to see that he got stumped by
this too. Why need an activation service?? Just change your emails
servers in you mail app to the new rr ones. Right on rr's help page is
this..
Please Note: Former Adelphia Customers will need to use
Incoming (POP3) Mail Server: pop-server.roadrunner.com
Outgoing (SMTP) Mail Server: smtp-server.roadrunner.com
I also tested the webmail by logging in at rr with his same user and
passwd, all good.