[nflug] nx server

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Fri May 25 09:01:29 EDT 2007

anthonyriga wrote:
> Ill try that. I have all sound turned off too.
> Sometimes too I cant even close the client window it
> hangs too or when I log into a sessions the background
> turns black and never logs into the session.  I have
> noticed both in the Windows and Linux client versions.
>

> --- Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:
>

>> anthonyriga wrote:
>>
>>> When I connect to my Fed 5 box thats running
>>>
>> nxserver
>>
>>> the  Panel does not show up. Everythign is fine.
>>>
>> Also
>>
>>> how do I kill the sessions? I tried loooking for
>>>
>> vnc
>>
>>> session .pid but dont see any. I have one seesion
>>>
>> that
>>
>>> I think is corrupt and I keep getting connected to
>>> it.. Suggestions?
>>>

> ____________________________________________________________________________________Shape
>
>> Yahoo! in your own image.  Join our Network Research
>> Panel today!

>> I found that there is a bug in nx at least as far as
>> trying to nx into
>> gnome. I don't think it's entirely nx related
>> either, in that I have
>> some boxes with the problem and others don't, could
>> be a version thing too.
>> Problem I've found is that even though you may be
>> telling it to make a
>> connection without multimedia stuff (sound in
>> particular), it still
>> tries to make a connection with sound. It doesn't
>> appear to be a problem
>> over a lan but it is over a wan.
>> Work around I use is I check to see how many esd
>> processes are running,
>> kill them all. Either turn off your sounds in your
>> gnome session or
>> create a user with no sound enabled and login with
>> that user. Newer nx
>> packages also only allow 2 users enabled by default
>> to connect, so if
>> you add another user to connect, you may need to
>> adjust that.

> in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
> http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/newmail_html.html

You may have some stale esd processes running. For the logout problem, I
made the logout for the nx user to do a "killall -u username", where
username is the user you logged in with nx, for the more troublesome
boxes. I haven't had those problems since edgy and early feisty though,
so check your package updates.